Installed! Initial impressions/results (long)

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
mkc
Latte

Installed! Initial impressions/results (long)

Post by mkc »

A minor shipping issue - the boiler gauge wasn't centered in the opening - it had slipped down. We had to take the front panel off and re-align the gauge. Also, my Estro tamper was nowhere to be found, so I sent a note off to Chris.

Steve (husband) almost regrets saying he could plumb a machine in ;-)

He spent most of today doing so. The actual plumbing wasn't so bad, it was drilling the hole into the tile backsplash (the other option was into granite - that wasn't going to happen!) We bought a hole saw for the drill that was supposed to be for tile - it took forever to get through the tile and the Hardi-board backer and you could smell how hot things were getting.

Since we were going through the backsplash/wall, we wanted to use some kind of sleeve/guide/decorative ring. The closest was a guide for a hand-sprayer. That meant grinding down the corners of the fitting on the end of the braided hose that came with the machine so it would fit through the guide.

Finally installed, we checked for leaks (none). We turned on the machine. Initially, it turned on as indicated in the manual, but then I noticed the only light was the flashing boiler light and the others had shut off. Hmmm... I pressed the On/Standby button. Nothing. Pulled the plug and restarted the process. This time it came on - group came up to temp, then the steam boiler started. And kept going! Over 2 bar before I shut the darned thing off. Steve bled off pressure through the steam wand while I mildly panicked. We decided there must be air trapped to we ran the brew until water came out (it took a while), and then all was well.

It took a few shots to dial in the grind - we needed a coarser grind than for our Estro machine with the pressurized PF, but I was putting 14 grams for a double in the Estro PF and 17-18 grams in the S1 PF so that could be part of the difference. I figured more coffee = less chance for bitterness/over-extraction.

Steam is unBELIEVABLE!!! Almost no time to steam 16 oz. to 150-155. I will have to relearn to steam.

Then I tried to clean the steam wand. I somehow managed to loosen the whole darned thing. When you tried to operate the knob, the whole assembly was loose, just flopping around. We had to let it cool, then take the front, side, and top panel off, then the panel holding the steam knob. It turns out the nut holding the knob had loosened somehow. (Steve was then commenting he hoped the rest of the quality of the machine was better than the assembly quality - thank goodness he is very mechanically adept!). We had to disassemble the entire knob to tighten things properly. Hopefully they hold.

It's been a long day, but we've had our first S1 lattes and they were good. We're hopeful that the issue with the steam wand/arm is solved but will be watching it closely. If it were to have loosened with the knob open instead of closed things could have gotten pretty "ugly" (and dangerous).

Michelle
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

How are you liking it after week one?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
mkc
Latte

Post by mkc »

Hi Chas,

I wish we'd been able to use the S1 at our normal "rate" - we were out of town for an extended weekend so many fewer shots pulled and pitchers steamed than usual. I did get the opportunity to make lattes with our Saeco Gran Crema (and Braun burr grinder) in the motorhome to remind me how much better the Macap/S1 are at producing brew!

Love the fact that the S1 is plumbed in and has such a huge drip tray! On my 3rd pitcher I finally got microfoam throughout the milk instead of getting separation. I had to learn to "tone it down" with the steam knob since there's some room between the valve closing and the knob being fully tight. I was much too assertive at first and I think that caused the wand loosening initially experienced. I am still very glad that both Steve and I are mechanically and electrically inclined and can fix things like that (although he has much more patience than I).

We've started drinking Americanos in the afternoons and evenings ;-) (CE's Guatemalan PA and MM) Who knew "coffee" could be so smooth and full-bodied? The hot water tap control is outstanding (I draw into a Pyrex measuring cup since I've not yet memorized what 6 oz. looks like in our cups). Steve has to write employee reviews this weekend, so I expect I'll get lots of opportunity to practice.

The volume programming is wonderful - so nice to let the machine do its thing while I prep the next shot's beans. I'm using 17 g. per double at the moment (CE Code Brown).

It's been tough learning to tamp. My initial doubles (pulled into 2 measured *bux shot glasses) were lopsided - more came out one spout of the PF than the other. Empty-basket doubles were even, so I knew it was my uneven tamping and not the dispersion screen or basket. I toyed with the idea of unscrewing the spout, but then decided to use the uneveness as a learning tool (since I don't have a naked PF) to get my tamps more even. It did get better, isn't quite perfect yet.

Now that my Espro tamper has arrived I get to learn all over again. And with the tamp pressure variable removed I'll be experimenting with more coffee per shot and also with brew temperature. Thus far I've left it at the factory setting of 95. As a techie, I love the ability to program and get consistency. The idea of a cooling flush and variability is what really turned me away from an HX machine to the S1.

The biggest downside - the footprint. In order to have the Macap next to the S1 I had to relocate our Riedel port glasses from their slot in the under-cabinet glass rack to inside the cabinets. The Cab, Zin, Syrah, and Chard glasses miss them. But we consume far more espresso than we do port (can't say the same for the other varietals :D )

For my next trick? I ordered some green beans, a thermometer, and a book on roasting from Sweet Maria's and will stop at Walgreens for a $9.99 air popper this weekend. Must be the engineer in me, always wanting to improve the process and the product!

Michelle
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Michelle:

Before you know what hit you you'll find roasting addictive, too. I started out small and the next thing I knew, I had a Hottop and a 4lb barbeque grill drum!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”