mini vii

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
cryco

mini vii

Post by cryco »

HI all,

I convinced our director at work to get me funds for an espresso machine and I got the mini vii. WOW!
I'm used to running a Breville 870, so this thing is a monster...
I even got a Vario, because what's a good machine with crappy grinds.
I'm actually pulling a beautiful shot, taking just under 30 seconds; it's a little short of 2 ounces, i believe maybe 1 3/4; the coffee roaster recommended 95 degrees, so I did that too, and damn, they were right. It cost me about 20 dollars of beans, but I dialed it in.
So were's the question? The bazooka, aka steam wand, is a beast.
I'm frothing milk like a n00b. I love me a good flat white or a latte, depending on how i feel, but man, i just can't get it.
What pitcher do you suggest for frothing milk with this monster for one latte? I have a 12 ounce and it's just too small.
I have a bigger one, but it's too wide. Any recommendations? I want to get that lovely microfoam, well distributed with no dry foam on top.
I will train my colleagues here on how to use this machine soon, but I'd like to be able to froth some proper milk.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: mini vii

Post by chas »

They make 1-hole, 2-hole, and 3-hole tips plus a 4-hole tip with bigger holes. Some of these would probably make it easier for you, like training wheels. However, the currently shipping tip (assuming no recent changes) is the most loved of all by users. While you are getting a handle on it, the easiest and cheapest thing to try is to plug up a couple of the holes by jamming a piece of toothpick in a couple of the holes from the inside. This will slow the flow.

Alternately, about a year ago someone discovered and documented somewhere on this forum a hidden command that lets you adjust the boiler temperature up and down over a small range. FYI, the standard pressure of the steam boiler when fully heated should be 1.2-1.3bar. If higher than that you should find that hidden command and lower the pressure to 1.2 bar before doing anything with the tip.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
cryco

Post by cryco »

Thanks Chas, i'll try plugging up the holes before I go as far as ordering a different tip or playing with the pressure.
Oh, I found that if I turn on the steam lever just a little, I get slower flow of steam. Will it hurt the machine or parts of the mechanism if i manage to keep the lever on just a little and hold the pitcher with the other hand? Is this bad on the long term?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

OK, if you get to the point where you want to change the steam pressure, it is documented here:

s1v2/MiniV2Manual/Mini_V2_Owners_Manual_RevG.pdf
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

cryco wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:58 pm Will it hurt the machine or parts of the mechanism if i manage to keep the lever on just a little and hold the pitcher with the other hand? Is this bad on the long term?
No.

Glad to hear it is possible. I have a GS3 with a lever and it is very difficult to have it in any position other than off or full on. As for the S1, I have had only the plumbed in models of the original S1, V2, and now Dream. They all have a knob which makes it pretty easy to pick your pressure. Of course the problem with this method on all models is that it's hard to hit the same pressure every time so results are not likely to be exactly repeatable.
Chas
Hottop P/B
cryco

Post by cryco »

Ok good to know!
I changed the steam pressure; I brought the temp down by 3 degrees and there is a noticeable difference. It is easier to stretch the milk, but it's not the same beautiful dry steam of the default setting. Maybe I'll go back up gradually once everyone here gets the hang of the machine.
And i just had my all time tastiest flat white (flavor wise)... this is taking espresso to a new level. I imagine having an espresso or latte at a cafe now becomes difficult.

Return to “General Q&A”