S1V2 V1-V2 Mode Confusion

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Futahaguro
Espresso

S1V2 V1-V2 Mode Confusion

Post by Futahaguro »

So maybe some folks have seen my postings about my tear down but I have it all back together and wanted to check for power and which mode I have. Long story short I am pretty darn positive I have a V2 control board. I have a 2011 triac, the 15/20A switch, the timer switch, both new temp sensors, or at least the new boiler sensor, and none of the boots like the V1. However, my machine has a red line where the Vivaldi usually goes so maybe it is a non-Chris Coffee version.

Anyway, it powered on and the ON/STDBY light lit and flashed. I did the V1-V2 control board switch by holding down the hot water button for at least 10 seconds and it switches between blinking 14-16 three times and blinking 17-19 three times. I will admit, I am slightly color blind but I feel like I should be able to tell between yellow and green and they all looked red to me. However, I am looking at the V1 manual and it looks like number 20-21 are red and the lights didn't look like that. I have the 5 degree increment face plate.

First, if I do not have the dual control board, what I am doing when I do the above procedure? I could not find anything about it in all of the manuals.

Second, if it is the dual control board can anyone tell me which numbers light up when the change is made? Are they the same numbers but the colors change?

Thanks!
Expobar Office Pulser (12 years)
La Spaziale S1V1 2008+ (I just got it)
Rancilio Rocky Doserless (12 years)
La Spaziale Top Grinder (I just got it) (Macap M4)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: S1V2 V1-V2 Mode Confusion

Post by chas »

If you didn't have a V2 controller board no lights would blink when you plug in the machine, so you are good to go there. 14-16 are green and indicate V2 mode. 17-19 are yellow and indicate V2 mode. 20-21 are red but have nothing to do with mode indication.

When in V2 mode all the control and functionality should agree with this version of the manual (except for the 5C increment decal issue):
s1v2/V2%20Manuals/V2Owner'sManualRevH.pdf

If you are in V1 mode all the controls and functionality should agree with this manual:
s1v1/S1Pix/S1OwnersManual.pdf

BTW: The machine remembers all settings you have made while in either mode. However, if you switch from V2-V1 and then back to V2 mode, all previous V2 settings are wiped out. Bottom-line, anytime you change modes the settings in the mode you are entering will have all the manufacturer's default values.

While I owned a V2 I somehow inadvertently switched to V1 mode a couple of times, I am not sure how I did it, and had to reset everything. Therefore, I recommend that when you get all your V2 modes configured the way you want, write them down and keep safe.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Futahaguro
Espresso

Post by Futahaguro »

Awesome, thanks a lot. I just need a few things and then I can hook up the water and test it!
Futahaguro
Espresso

Post by Futahaguro »

I just noticed that you said V2 mode on both of the sets of lights. Now that I know which are which colors it looks like you meant green are V1 (14-16).

Thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Yes, I did. Sorry about that!
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BTW: Can you post a photo of that red stripe you mentioned that is where the LaSpaz logo normally is? I am really curious what that looks like.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Futahaguro
Espresso

Post by Futahaguro »

I just thought of something. Could it be a replacement? The woman I bought it from new nothing about espresso machines.
DSC_0106.JPG
DSC_0106.JPG (805.25 KiB) Viewed 13661 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It looks like a strip of black tape with a red line on it that protects the plastic behind it until you are ready to install the LaSpaziale badge that is supposed to be there. Could very well be a replacement.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Futahaguro
Espresso

Post by Futahaguro »

So I finally put my machine back together and I want to point out that while I did have a V2, it did not have the pre-infusion upgrade so I was able to send it back to Chris' Coffee and get it upgraded for $50+ shipping. If you are wondering if you can upgrade your board you need to open it up and look at the chip in my picture. It is hard to read in my picture but Chris' Coffee sent me a better picture to point out that is MUST say "PIC 16F913". It's the big chip above the two green boxes, or the red ones, I'm not the best with colors.

For those of you whom have read my other posts, yes the pre-infusion is worthless at the moment because I am running from a container. I wanted to get everything done in the machine so I did not need to open it up for a while.
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg (881.45 KiB) Viewed 13436 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The information on the PIC controller model number is good to know. However, the easier way to find out if you have the proper controller board is to unplug the machine and then watch the front panel when you plug it back it. Either 3 green or 3 yellow lamps will blink once. If that happens then you have a board capable of supporting preinfusion and the other newer programmable options. If the lamps indicate that the machine is in S1 mode, use the instructions in the manual to switch the machine into S2 mode. Then use the instructions in the manual to configure pre-infusion. If those instructions don't do anything and you must have preinfusion, then you can arrange to send the board back to CCS for a programming update. Otherwise, it's a hassle to get to the controller board if you find that you don't need to.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Futahaguro
Espresso

Post by Futahaguro »

Oh, I didn't know that test covered all of the boards that could be upgraded. I guess Chris' Coffee wanted to make sure all of the bases were covered by making sure people looked at the chips.
If those instructions don't do anything and you must have preinfusion, then you can arrange to send the board back to CCS for a programming update.
That was exactly my situation. I just wanted everything upgraded while I was in there just in case.

Thanks.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You can even get the mini's controller board upgraded but it obviously doesn't get you preinfusion.It does get you the remaining advanced features.

In either case it's the same software but the controller boards for the two machines have a hardwired jumper that tells the software which machine it is running on.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”