Need help with repair decision

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jmorin

Need help with repair decision

Post by jmorin »

Bought the Mini Vivaldi II form Chris' Coffee in 2010 for $2042. We had to send it back a couple years later - replaced the pump, some valves, etc. Then had more leaks and fixed lines and temperature sensor.

Now we need over $500 in parts (plus labor) to repair steam boiler, coffee boiler elements and solenoid valves.

My question, is it worth it? If the repair costs around $700, that's probably the value of the machine, right? Then how long will it last without costing more $$$?

Thanks for any experienced users who could add some thought to this dilemma.

Jim
MDL
Barista

Re: Need help with repair decision

Post by MDL »

First, all of my experience is with a Vivaldi II, not the mini.
Sounds to me like you got a lemon, or at least a machine with problems. Unless the mini is dramatically less reliable than the regular machine I would not have expected a series of major repairs over this time period.

Only you can decide what to do. $700 is much less than buying a new machine. On the other hand you may wish to wash your hands of this machine that has been problematic for you and move on to something else?
jmorin

Post by jmorin »

Thanks for your note. The service guy said the expected lifetime is 2-15 years, which means nothing, really. So you see why it's a tough decision to throw another $700 at the machine, even though as you point out, it's a lot less than a new one.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Most of the failures you've seen can be caused by hard water. Whether you buy a new machine or get the S1 fixed if you don't address your water problem, it'll just happen again. Have you tested your water hardness?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
jmorin

Post by jmorin »

Yes I know we have hard water. So I have faithfully changed the filter. Isn't that supposed to fix the hard water issue?
jmorin

Post by jmorin »

Thanks for everyone's help.

FYI - decided to refurbish the machine by Chris' Coffee and will be selling it soon.

Bought a new Alex Duetto 3! And new Fiorenzato grinder. So far having a lot of fun with the new equipment but still re-learning how to steam milk.
jmorin

Post by jmorin »

Oh, I should add, also bought a new Mavea softener and filtration system.

Return to “General Q&A”