Clive Coffee specific model

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
adagan
Latte

Clive Coffee specific model

Post by adagan »

Not an endorsement nor the opposite, but I see that Clive Coffee (Portland, OR) has yet another variation on the Vivaldi 2 and mini.
They call it LUCCA A53, and it has a slightly different look but inside very similar to the regular models.
Check it out:
http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/la-s ... lucca.html
C8H10N4O2
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Clive Coffee specific model

Post by chas »

Nice looking machine. As far as I know Clive has been buying them and replacing the plastic side panels with the wooden ones. I wonder if they are having that slick looking new front panel built for them by a third party or if they worked a deal to have LaSpaziale build them that way?

I finally read the Clive write up which explains it. It was the latter. So now Clive and Chris Coffee are have customized versions built exclusively for them.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
wacevedo

Post by wacevedo »

chas wrote:Nice looking machine. As far as I know Clive has been buying them and replacing the plastic side panels with the wooden ones. I wonder if they are having that slick looking new front panel built for them by a third party or if they worked a deal to have LaSpaziale build them that way?

I finally read the Clive write up which explains it. It was the latter. So now Clive and Chris Coffee are have customized versions built exclusively for them.
Clive used to buy from Chris and add optional panels before shipping to end customer. Now they buy directly from La Spaziale under the Lucca brand. Very minor changes. They use a local contractor to fabricate the panels. They add custom panels to the mini and La Morzocco GS3. I live about 30 mins from their store.
My Mini Vivaldi II Setup
My Mini Vivaldi II Setup
MiniVII.JPG (116.55 KiB) Viewed 9702 times
Here's my mini Vivaldi II from Clive.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Is Clive also using the longer S5 steam arm or is it my imagination that the steam arm is longer than the stock V2?
Chas
Hottop P/B
wacevedo

Post by wacevedo »

chas wrote:Is Clive also using the longer S5 steam arm or is it my imagination that the steam arm is longer than the stock V2?

No, this is the stock steam arm. I guess it does look a little longer in the picture. When I bought mine they still went through CC (Dec 2013). But I was at their store last week and the Lucca models they have on display has the stock steam arm. They still sell units under mini Vivaldi and S1 brand names, but that can't last long. I was told Clive Coffee owner had a bit of a disagreement with CC on pricing and decided to go directly to the manufacturer. Aside from the name they had to change/compromise on some aspects because La Spaziale would not sell them exactly the same machine they ship to CC. Panel change is a positive thing I think, although I didn't like the tiny buttons. I noticed that the group temp setting only displays temp in increments of 5 deg . You can still program in single increments but the display only changes every 5 deg, so if you want to set group temp at 93C you get 90C on the display panel, push temp increment 3 more times to land at 93C, but the temp indicator stays at 90; which I find incovenient. HW is the same thought.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In that case it sounds more like a modified V1 than a V2. Do they still use the triac control for the boilers or do they use the newer solid state relay module?
Chas
Hottop P/B
wacevedo

Post by wacevedo »

that I'm not sure about. I'll check with them next time I visit their store.

Return to “General Q&A”