Can't Pull the Shot

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Firochromis
Macchiato

Can't Pull the Shot

Post by Firochromis »

Hi,

I have a problem on my S1V1 but a little background first:

I bought this machine second hand from the La Spaziale service in Turkey. By saying 'service', expecting something like Chris Coffee Service would be naive but nevertheless I trust them as this machine is in good shape. The problem is, I'm new in this class of machines so I can't justify if I'm doing something wrong or it's the machine.

Ok, my problem is I can't pull the shot fully. It starts normally but after a few seconds, with 5-10ml of coffee inside the glass, the operation stops. Some water comes from 3-way valve. My machine don't have a pressure gauge on the brew boiler so I don't know neither the pumps pressure nor the expansion valve setting.

I tried a backflushing (first time in my life) but it didn't work either. I expected to see 60ml water coming from the 3-way valve (when backflushing with 2 cup button and blind disk is full of water), but no. It seemed like pump can not finish that either.

So can you help me with this.

Regards
Be in Peace,

Firat Cingi
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Can't Pull the Shot

Post by chas »

It sounds like you need to reprogram the volumetric dosing.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Firochromis
Macchiato

Post by Firochromis »

Chas, when no p/f attached I programmed the volumetric dosing as: Single shot: 30ml; double shot as 60ml. When it can't finish the shot, I de-attached the p'f and checked those values, and they are correct.
Be in Peace,

Firat Cingi
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You have to program the amount of coffee you want in the cup with coffee in the PF. The grounds absorb a lot off water.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Firochromis
Macchiato

Post by Firochromis »

Oh wait!! How does volumetric dosing programming is done? I dosed no portafilter attached, I guess I have to attach portafilter loaded with grounds and measure the water inside the cup? :oops:
Be in Peace,

Firat Cingi
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Yes. You program while doing an actual shot. Measure the shot glass level with water so you know where the level is corresponding to the volume you want. Then actually prepare a shot and set the volumetric programming while doing the shot.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W

Return to “General Q&A”