Pre-Infusion On S1 - Any Good?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Firochromis
Macchiato

Pre-Infusion On S1 - Any Good?

Post by Firochromis »

Hi everybody,
If you want real pre-infusion, then it's better to mod your machine, so there is a delay before the pump kicks in. Allot of people have done this on rotary pump machines without any pre-infusion capabilities.

the chamber doesn't do anything close to real pre-infusion.
This quote is from some other forum and I don't want to cross-post. At first I react defensively as a proud Vivaldi owner. But then I remember all the "I didn't notice any difference but still keeping it" phrases here in S1 Cafe. From the experienced users to newbies we all hear this. So do the pre-infusions in Vivaldi (both programmable and progressive) are real pre-infusions? If we don't taste any difference then maybe there is no difference? What do you think?

Regards,
Be in Peace,

Firat Cingi
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Pre-Infusion On S1 - Any Good?

Post by rhinoevans »

I have one, not sure worth the money. Probably wouldn't not buy again. I have no idea what preinfussion is supposed to taste like. Neve had a shot from a machine that has it. Been drinking espresso from my S1 for over 10 years now, but am looking to upgrade this year. Probably the verano 2B, but now I need to go look and see if pre
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Nope. Not in the 2B. Maybe a magic sales trick the doesn't mean that much in the cup? Chas??? Can you really tell on your G3?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Well that is one of the nice things about the GS/3 - you can easily pull back to back shots with and without preinfusion. Of course you can with the Dream as well. The Dream has real - pump off - preinfusion whereas the GS/3 actually runs the pump for a couple seconds, then stops the pump for a few seconds, then starts it again.

I can taste a difference but only with beans that are too sour for my taste and can't be improved enough just by raising the group temp. In this case preinfusion seems to noticeably mellow out the shot.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Firochromis
Macchiato

Post by Firochromis »

Googling about the subject give me "delay on make" relays. This delay simply delays the pump for a given time and let the street pressure on your home water system does the pre-infusion. I'll be glad for any info about the subject.

Regards
Be in Peace,

Firat Cingi

Return to “General Q&A”