How many oz in a warming flush?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
RonMJ

How many oz in a warming flush?

Post by RonMJ »

I've read that two warming shots need to be put through the portafilter if the machine has been idle for a while. How many oz in each shot? I've programmed the single cup button to give a bit over two, and I run it twice. But am I pulling too much water out of the boiler if I flush with over 4 oz.?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: How many oz in a warming flush?

Post by chas »

After each warming shot just be sure to wait for the squiggly line at the top of the display to turn off indicating that the boiler is back up to temp before you pull the next shot. This goes even for back-to-back shots. However, with back-to-back shots the time it takes to dump, clean, grind, reload, tamp, lock in the portafilter is typlically about the same time that the boiler stays on between shots even if you are reasonably fast and efficient in the process.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
RonMJ

Post by RonMJ »

Interesting. I must have a very stable machine since I only remember seeing the squiggly line when the machine is warming up. Once it's 'up to temp' it seems to stay right around the set temperature. Right now I have it set at 198 and it seems to hover between 197 and 200. Unless I just keep missing seeing the line. Either way, if I understand this correctly I should ONLY do a warming flush if the squiggly line is there. If not I should just pull the shot. Is that right?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In that case, wait until the displayed temperature value gets back up to the set point.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”