Which water filters to get?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
bugeyes

Which water filters to get?

Post by bugeyes »

Hello guys, I am in the market for a water filters for my Dream machine, found these two on Christ coffee, was wondering if someone can point out pro and con and which one should I get, thanks.
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Maeva-Purit ... ritycg.htm Maeva Purity C50
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Water-Softe ... ftsysg.htm Traditional one
MDL
Barista

Re: Which water filters to get?

Post by MDL »

I have no experience with the "new" system. The new system is dramatically more expensive both to purchase initially and for replacement cartridges. The web site says that the new system uses hydrogen and not sodium for the ion exchange. If this is the case I would expect that the pH of the water would be altered more?

I have used the traditional system since April of 2007 without issue. Generic replacement cartridges are available for almost nothing from a variety of vendors (e.g. www.wateranywhere.com).

It would be great to get some information/feedback regarding the new system from folks who have experience with it.

Good luck,
Mark
Maotoying

Post by Maotoying »

MDL wrote: .... I have used the traditional system since April of 2007 without issue. Generic replacement cartridges are available for almost nothing from a variety of vendors (e.g. http://www.wateranywhere.com).

It would be great to get some information/feedback regarding the new system from folks who have experience with it.
I have the ChrisCoffee filtration on my Vivaldi I. The filtration system will carry over to my new La Spaziale Dream unless someone convinces me to upgrade water filtration systems.

I buy now at ChrisCoffee
Carbon Block 10 Micron 10" filter PCKX-10-97
Softener 10" Cartridge 15,000 PPM HR-1

I emailed WaterAnywhere.com and asked which of their filters would replace those from ChrisCoffee. Their reply back was that they did not know. Please let me know what to order, model numbers, from WaterAnyWhere.com

Thanks
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I order the following:
Extruded Carbon Filter, 10" Standard H-F2510SOFT $7.00 each
Softening Filter Cartridge 10" Standard H-F2510AC $8.00 each

From the main page go to "filters and housings"
The carbon filters are then under "carbon filter cartridges"
The softener cartridges are under "special purpose filters" and then "softening filter cartridges"
Maotoying

Post by Maotoying »

Thank you for info on the WaterAnyWhere.com products.
I will inform the board on how these work out.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Many individuals here have been using these cartridges for years. I started buying them in 2007. The reason for building your softening system with generic parts (as sold by Chris' Coffee where I originally bought mine) is that you can get cartridges from many sources at reasonable prices.
gene

Post by gene »

Last nite my wife screamed that we had a leak under the kitchen sink. Oboy there goes my trip tomorrow to help American Whitewater Association at Gauleyfest.
Turns out the leak was from the bottom of one of the the filters had gotten from Chris with the La Spaz had burst. Chris not open on Saturday, could it get any worse?

All over the internet, Home Depot, etc. Today went to Lowes. The extremely helpful rep recommended Whirlpool filters since they were exactly same size as the stock one from Chris.

Would you believe the only fittings Whirlpool had in the filter box were John Guest type ??????? C'mon, I'm floored. Brought home and everything fit perfectly and it only took a few minutes.
Was looking for no less than 10 micron and the Whirlpool was .05, wow.

What happened?
Had not changed the cartridges out in almost four years since new(slap forehead), "big dummy". Have now marked the filters with 9/20/14 and a warning to check in six months.

I trust Chris completely. If you get on his website and read his 'generic' filters explanation you don't have to wonder about how he got his reputation for satisfied customers.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

I'm having a hard time imagining how the bottom of one of those could burst. (I guess you are dumbfounded too). I went and looked at mine just to confirm, these things are solid molded heavy plastic. Is that what you are describing as having burst?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Yes, please clarify exactly what happened.

Presumably you mean that one of the large blue filter housings broke? If a "filter" broke it would be contained within the housing and would not necessarily cause a leak.

Return to “General Q&A”