Super Important Question

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jgaepi

Super Important Question

Post by jgaepi »

Hopefully the title got your attention :-) But really, it is kind of an important question. I hate the idea of daisy chaining cables. My Vivaldi is on a ship from Italia to Stati Uniti as we speak. Pretty exciting. It will be in 15 amp mode as I DO NOT have a 20 amp circuit. But, if I were to change out my receptacle to 20 amp (something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-A ... cS8LxaIBY4) and then continue to have it operate in 15 amp mode. This would eliminate the conversion cord.

Has anyone done something like this? If not, I am on a hunt for a 20 - 15 amp converter cord with a flat wall plug so my machine can fit snuggly against the wall. Thank you everyone.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Super Important Question

Post by chas »

You can certainly do that though it's probably against code.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

Yes, I think you can replace the outlet, but it won't change anything if you have 15 amp wire and a 15 amp breaker.
My Mini has been on 15 amp during near two years. Four months ago, an electrician put 20 amp wire and breaker, and this kind of outlet you show us in your link. Sincerely, I do not see any real change. The Mini can perform perfectly on 15 amp.
jgaepi

Post by jgaepi »

So my goal is to eliminate the need for the conversion cable while still operating it on the 15 amp setting. So my goal is to plug the Vivaldi in via the standard 20amp plug, into a 20amp receptacle while still operating it in the Vivaldi's 15 amp mode in my 15 amp kitchen. The outlet would cost only $19 and about 20 min of my time. That for not having to daisy chain cables. If it is possible in the configuration I outlined above, I think it would be worth the hassle. But only if people know that the Vivaldi would operate as such.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

It is potentially dangerous, illegal and not a good idea to do what you are suggesting. Installing a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit sets up a situation where someone would plug in a device that will overload the wiring potentially causing at the least a fuse or breaker to blow and at the worst a fire.

Either use a converter cord or cut off the 20A plug and install a 15A plug on your cord; those are the only two safe ways to go.
jfrescki
God Shot

Post by jfrescki »

MDL wrote:It is potentially dangerous, illegal and not a good idea to do what you are suggesting. Installing a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit sets up a situation where someone would plug in a device that will overload the wiring potentially causing at the least a fuse or breaker to blow and at the worst a fire.
Yes, but if it's the OP's kitchen and he is the only one using the outlet, there's really no problem. I was going to make the same change for the same reason, just never bothered.
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Never presume that you will remember to put it back correctly when you leave. There is no reason to generate a potentially dangerous situation where you have inappropriate fixtures on a circuit. If you are going to run only in 15A mode just put a 15A plug onto your Vivaldi cord and be done with it. You can always change to a 20A down the road if you find yourself with a 20A outlet and it only takes three screws in the plug to make the change after you have cut off the molded plug.
nicfortin

Post by nicfortin »

FWIW:
I've been using mine in 20A mode on a 15A circuit for almost 7 yrs now without any problem.
I spoke with an electrician back then and we measure a peak of 18A. Since it happens only for a few minutes a day (even then...) the circuit will take it no problem. Unless you have an old and tired circuit breaker, even then the elctrician told me it wouldn't happens a lot since the peak is so short and sparse in time.

my 2c :-)

N

Return to “General Q&A”