Mini or Regular Vivaldi?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Pegasus

Mini or Regular Vivaldi?

Post by Pegasus »

I am considering buying either the Mini or Regular Vivaldi. If I bought the regular one it would be run off a 5 gallon bottle with a Flojet.

The reasons I am considering the regular Vivaldi is that it has a rotary pump, steam knob instead of lever, programmable preinfusion and larger steam boiler.

I am not sure this is really that important for home use by two people.

If I went with the Mini, would you all recommend that I add the preinfusion chamber?

The other machine I am considering is the Duetto III, but I am more likely to go with one of the Vivaldi machines.

Any advice would be most appreciated as I am at that paralyzed indecision point after three months of research.

Thank you!
MDL
Barista

Re: Mini or Regular Vivaldi?

Post by MDL »

I bought my Vivaldi before the mini was released. Having it plumbed in is wonderful and I personally would choose the Vivaldi over the mini just for that reason. Add the other considerations and it is an easy decision for me if you can accommodate the need to plumb or use a tank. The only advantage that I see to the mini is being able to move it around.
Pryz

Post by Pryz »

I've had my mini only a few months, and besides saying you probably can't go wrong with either.
My vendor actually accidentally shipped me the regular Vivaldi and I shipped it back because I really wanted the Mini.
Having owned a machine with a rotary steam knob and wanted the lever. So far I do like it better. Additionally, I believe there is a post on here somewhere where Endo tries to show that a vibratory pump may be better than rotary for low volume usage patterns. If you are worried about the noise, it is not loud. Subjective opinion, I know, so your mileage may vary.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

So, the 2 things that made me hesitate on the mini were the 53mm baskets and the lever for steam. Looking back on it, I can only guess that my issues were that these things weren't standard. As it turns out, I love the lever now. I suspect I wouldn't like a knob. In fact, the lever presents no problem and is probably ergonomically more efficient. Today, if I were looking for a new machine, I'd look for a lever. The 53mm? I don't notice it at all anymore, but that's not an issue for you.
Pryz

Post by Pryz »

I hesitated on the non standard 53mm baskets as well. I realized reading this forum that there are a large number of people out there who know way more about coffee than I do that have no issue with it so why should I. Haven't thought about it much since.
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

We have always had Superautomatic machines so I don't have any baskets or other Semiautomatic accessories.

The 53mm portafilter isn't a problem since I would be starting from scratch.

I have read that the baskets are deeper than 58mm baskets and that they work better to prevent channeling.

I am going to need to get a 53mm tamper to replace the plastic tamper than comes with the machine, of course.
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Can't comment on plumbed vs non since all of my machines have been pour overs. I have used many tampers over the years and the Tidka set up is my favorite by far. The Espro clicker was kind of nice for my wife. I have a good friend who owns a shop and has won a regional barista competition and he believes that steam arms should only be off and on for consistency. I have gotten used to the lever and in my opinion it is the only way to go..
algrilli

Post by algrilli »

I think the plumbed in feature the most important consideration of those you mentioned because it affects you every time you use the machine. I have the V2 plumbed in and having fresh filtered water available continually is an absolute godsend. I never have to think about it. I only have to empty the tray. And I use a lot of water..probably because I know I can.

For a while I had it set up with the flow jet in an apartment and that was OK, but for me there's still nothing like plumbed in.

But whichever you get, it will be great and you will adapt to its features.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Return to “General Q&A”