New owner v1 mini

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
southpaw
Latte

New owner v1 mini

Post by southpaw »

Hello,
I picked up a 2008 v1 last weekend and have been finding my way around the machine. I have to say thanks for the manual and cheat sheet posted on here.
I've just found about the v1/v2 switch and my machine does have the v2 board :grin: and after a look under the bonnet I also have the pre infusion as an unknown bonus.
Time to try and find a supplier in the uk for the 1c sticker and the 0.9mm steam tip.
CoffeeLegs

Re: New owner v1 mini

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Hey there, I am also the new owner to a mini S1 VI and as u have probably seen there is LOADS out there on the VII however I find it hard to get info on the VI. Could you point me to the cheat sheet u found on here, also if u seen any details about where to get parts (shower screens etc) for regular maintenance in the future. Thanks :)

By the way, how are u finding it?.. I love mine, it's only my 2nd machine and first one that can actually make amazing shots.. love it, I look forward to making a coffee with it ! :)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

At the top right of any page on this forum there are links to both the S1V1 Website and the S1V2 and Mini Website. Since so few of our subscribers have an S1 MIni and since the manuals created by this website Admin were done for Chris Coffee Service, they only explicitly cover the US and Canadian versions of S1, V2, and V2 Mini machines.

However, you can still glean what you need from those documents. The S1 documents pretty much describe how to program the operation of your "as delivered" machine and the V2 Mini documents describe the other tank specific elements of Mini operation.

Almost all S1s and S1 Minis distributed overseas in the last few years actually have the same controller board as the V2 and V2 Mini which allows you to switch an S1 into V2 mode. How to do this is documented in the V2 or V2 Mini User's Manuals. If you switch into V2 mode, then the display will switch to being in 1C increments rather than the V1s 5C increments. It is possible to purchase a new decal/sticker with the V2 markings and replace the S1 decal/sticker that goes below the LEDs.

With those changes the machine will only differ from an actual V2 in that it will only have the single, round steam pressure gauge. So you optimum solution is to switch to V2 mode, get the replacement decal/sticker, and then use the downloadable V2 Mini manual as your reference.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Wow thanks for that, I will have a look and give it a go. I wondered why anyone would want to brew coffee at 120 degrees celsius anyway?

So i take it the dimensions of the showerscreens etc, Group head etc are all exactly the same on the mini s1 and mini v2? If i am getting a bottomless portafilter or new parts for it?
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Update, I had a go of switching from V1 to V2 and in stdby i held the hot water button and no joy im afraid. looks like mine is older software.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

There is one thing you might try in order to rule out that you didn't do something wrong with the switch-over algorithm. If you have the V2 type controller and you unplug the machine, when you first plug it back in either three adjacent yellow LEDs or three adjacent green LEDs will come on for a couple of seconds. This indicates whether the board is in V1 or V2 mode. If you get a "none of the above" situation, then you have the old style controller.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Hi, yes it is a none of the above situation. I set the temp to 95 or 97 anyway do I guess I can live with it :)

Do u know where I can get the shower screens etc ? Thanks for the help
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Either Chris Coffee Service or Espresso Parts. Depending on what else you order and where you live may determine which one has the best price incl. S&H. In general I hate to pay more for shipping that I do for the parts! So while you're at it order some spare group gaskets, an extra PF spring or two, and maybe a container of Cafiza.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Excellent thanks Chas, I know the feeling.. don't know how many times I've done that on amazon to get the super saver delivery! :)
southpaw
Latte

Post by southpaw »

I've been enjoying my mini for about 18 months but I've got the chance to buy a v2 and plumb it in. The v2 owner states it doesn't have pre infusion, but I thought all v2s came with the new board. Could it be he has it set in v1 mode or did some v2s ship with v1 boards?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In the US, Chris Coffee Service (CCS) worked with LaSpaziale to create new firmware for the 115V US V2 that added pre-infusion and extended temperature offset capability. This happened about 1 year after the initial release of the V2 and the V2 MIni. At that time CCS, offered to reprogram for free any boards that early owners removed and mailed in themselves. However, there are probably some owners that never did the upgrade. All new machines sold since come standard with the enhanced firmware controller boards.

However, since you are in 220V land, I don't know if LaSpaziale offers a version of your controller board that has these same extended features. If so, there are probably also early 220V V2 owners that never got the upgrade as well.

That said, your controller board could be in S1 mode. So the first thing is to check which mode you're in and switch to V2 mode if necessary. However, it is still possible that you don't have pre-infusion even in V2 mode. If you don't have pre-infusion and can't get your controller board upgraded to include this feature, you can still purchase and install the manual pre-infusion device, if so desired.

Do you actually have the MKII model?
Chas
Hottop P/B
southpaw
Latte

Post by southpaw »

I currently have a v1 mini with pre infusion and the v2 board.

The mkii is the one I'm looking at buying. I can probably take a guess based on asking about yellow/green leds on power up and also the age of the machine.

Cheers :grin:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Worst case if you decide to buy that MKII and it doesn't have programmable pre-infusion, you can move the mechanical pre-infusion unit from the Mini to the MKII. If you don't know how I have it documented in an old post. Check the photos in the last post on the thread linked below.

[email=viewtopic.php?f=49&t=840]viewtopic.php?f=49&t=840[/email]
Chas
Hottop P/B
southpaw
Latte

Post by southpaw »

I'd had that idea about switching over the mechanical part - thanks for the link.

The machine is a 2007 and is in v2 mode so the hope it was stuck in v1 mode is gone.

Return to “General Q&A”