Dream vs V2

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Johnlyn

Dream vs V2

Post by Johnlyn »

Just curiosue if anyone has made a comparrisson yet. It may be too early yet but I am curious to know what would orient one towards either option. Are the features worth it? Ease of use? track record? and most of all of course, how do the results in the cup compare and how does the consistency of results compare?
innermusic

Re: Dream vs V2

Post by innermusic »

My first post to this forum.
I was all set to buy the S1 Dream. I was a bit concerned that maybe there might be issues with a new model like this.
Then I read THIS THREAD
Holy crap!
So now I'm thinking maybe I should just get a new V2. A nice, safe bet.
Your thoughts?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I have owned my V2 since April of 2007 and love it.

As I follow the release of the Dream it seems clear that the machine is evolving and being refined post-release. Ultimately I am confident that Chris will see that the machine works as designed and up to expectations. How long it will take to reach that point, and if you are willing/able to participate in the evolution essentially as a beta-tester is something that only you can decide.
Johnlyn

Post by Johnlyn »

I agree with MDL. My last machine was a BDB and I experienced multiple problems with the electronics of the machine. Otherwise it was great. This led me to appreciate a machine with an excellent durability and reliability track record; a machine that Espresso techs like to work on; and that can be fixed by a tech or with some tech help, by me.

SO I debated Mini V2 or Dream T. I decided that I wanted to stay away from higher electronics for now and I did not want to be an early adopter a second time. So I went with a known product, the Mini V2.

As has stated though, I'm sure that Chris and Laspaziale will work out the issues and that it will be an excellent machine down the line....

Hope my experience and thought process helps,
Abnuceals

Post by Abnuceals »

I have a V2 and I am really happy with it. I don't like machines that are full of electronics or are computer controled as they are more often prone to break (more fragile parts). The V2 was an exception to this rule of mine, but since it has been tested by thousands of happy users, I was willing to take a chance. But even if I was inclined for that kind of machine I'd wait a couple of years, when the childhood problems of the Dream machine would be way behind.
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

At this point, I can't say I completely disagree with you. My Dream is in the shop waiting for a new temperature sensor to arrive from CCS. New machine, new parts..........new problems?
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

goodboyr wrote:At this point, I can't say I completely disagree with you. My Dream is in the shop waiting for a new temperature sensor to arrive from CCS. New machine, new parts..........new problems?
There are certainly other issues that might qualify for your conclusion, but I wouldn't include the temperature sensor. That's the same sensor they switched to on the V2s about three years back. It has a proven track record. Since it sounds like perhaps one other person has had the same issue, LaSpaz may have gotten a few bad ones from their vendor.

On the other hand CCS definitely should have spent another 1-2 months wringing out the SW in their shop before they started shipping. Fortunately, they are being very responsive and getting the software updated quickly as issues as found.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Well.......yes. The engineer in me agrees with you. Probably a bad batch or "infant mortality". But........I bought was is considered one of the most reliable machines and I expected trouble free service at this price point. So the bottom line of having it needing service after less than two months of operation leaves me asking whether a better qa program is needed here.
I believe the sensor is different than the v2. At the minimum the connections look different. The replacement part is unique to the dream. That's why we are waiting for one from CCS.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W

Return to “General Q&A”