Increasing Cup Height

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
bonganim

Increasing Cup Height

Post by bonganim »

I am not happy about the cup height restriction on my machine. I make plenty milk based drinks for the female and visitors of the house. While minding my business I noticed that the drip tray has small supports where the grid sits. If I can cut some of these, it will enable me to turn the grid upside down therefore increasing the cup height.

Has anyone looked at this before?
slo
Barista

Re: Increasing Cup Height

Post by slo »

Oh! I have thought about a lot!
Every morning, I prepare a monster latte for my wife and I have to use the bottomless and even have to tip some of her big cups because they just don't fit under... I just never found an easy enough mod that will not look bad. I think that flipping over the grid would not look good.
Looking forward to anything that will turn up in this thread.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Here's what I do:

(Note: Simply place another glass underneath for any warm-up water shots or cleaning.)
Big Latte
Big Latte
big latte.jpg (68.47 KiB) Viewed 15544 times
bonganim

Post by bonganim »

Tehehe... I love your solution Endo. I will get down to reducing the height of the tall supporting posts and post the pictures as well. Until then, I will keep removing the grid to accommodate tall glasses and cups.
Dan Bollinger

Post by Dan Bollinger »

The (minor) problem with Endo's solution is that there's a valve that needs to purge a little bit of water occasionally into the drip tray. It's in the far right corner. That's the reason the drip tray extends under that valve. I think the simpler solution is to buy shallower cups, or use something shallow to catch the coffee and then transfer to your mug or latte cup.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Dan Bollinger wrote:The (minor) problem with Endo's solution is that there's a valve that needs to purge a little bit of water occasionally into the drip tray. It's in the far right corner. That's the reason the drip tray extends under that valve. I think the simpler solution is to buy shallower cups, or use something shallow to catch the coffee and then transfer to your mug or latte cup.
Your absolutely right Dan. :shock: The backflush water will shoot out and can damage your fan. Removing the grid is a much better solution. Note: You may need to add a flat piece of plastic in the bottom of the tray since it's an uneven surface and may cause your glass to tilt a little.
Dan Bollinger

Post by Dan Bollinger »

I tried flipping over the grate, but it still sits at the same height. However, if you only need a quarter inch more, there is a fix. The grate has downward facing flanges on the long sides reinforced by two, horizontal rods. If you cut off the bottom set of rods you'll drop the grate 1/4" or so, but you'll still have integrity because of the remaining rod. This will make sense when you remove your grate.
Endo

Post by Endo »

...or just remove the grate.
Dan Bollinger

Post by Dan Bollinger »

Endo wrote:...or just remove the grate.
Sure, but then you end up with cr*p on the bottom of the cup. I think the best solution is to bandsaw completely through the machine and add a height spacer. :lol:
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Dan Bollinger wrote:
Endo wrote:...or just remove the grate.
Sure, but then you end up with cr*p on the bottom of the cup. I think the best solution is to bandsaw completely through the machine and add a height spacer. :lol:
Put one of these in the bottom and set the cup on it: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/interdesig ... 107cx.html
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

a double shot glass works pretty well for me.
fantastigg

Post by fantastigg »

I have the same issue. I plan on buying shallow cups, for now I just remove the grate and hold the cup so the bottom doesn't get wet. As someone else mentioned, you don't want the backflush from the right side going all over the place. And I hate transferring from one cup to the other, if I wanted my coffees prepared incorrectly then I'd go to Starbucks :p
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I unscrewed the spout from the PF. A bottomless PF will get you even more clearance.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”