How do you pull a triple?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
nitpick

How do you pull a triple?

Post by nitpick »

Scenario:

Double-shot button programmed for ca. 2 oz of extraction (i.e. a "double")

Single-shot button programmed for ca. 1 oz of extraction (i.e. a "single")

Four seconds of line-pressure pre infusion programmed in either case.

Triple-shot basket filled with ca. 25oz of coffee in a bottomless portafilter.

Your mission: To pull a triple shot (ca. 3 oz). How are you going to do it? HOW?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: How do you pull a triple?

Post by chas »

Well, if you figure out how to put 25oz of coffee in a triple PF, that would be a trick all by itself!

BTW: A triple basket is not a triple shot basket. You still aim for 1.5-2Oz in 25 sec. It's more like a double ristretto.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
nitpick

Post by nitpick »

chas wrote:
BTW: A triple basket is not a triple shot basket. You still aim for 1.5-2Oz in 25 sec. It's more like a double ristretto.
I am feeling a bit sheepish...
Endo

Post by Endo »

Wikipedia:

The size can be a single, double, or triple, which corresponds roughly to a 1, 2, and 3 US fluid ounce (approximately 30, 60 or 90ml) standard (normale) shot, and use a proportional amount of ground coffee, roughly 7–8, 14–16, and 21–24 grams; correspondingly sized filter baskets are used.

Just goes to show, espresso is an art rather than a science. Personally, for my triples, I go for around 1.5 oz as well. (Although I don't particularly like triples so I'm not really an expert on the subject).
nitpick

Post by nitpick »

Ok, so now back to my original question. If a triple can actually be 3oz, then how do S1 owners make one?
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

My experience is one mostly of failure. I haven't tried it for some time. I used a bottomless portafilter and a triple basket. I loaded 21 grams in there and pulled 2 ounces of espresso. The failure part is that I almost always got leakage around the portafilter. The shot was okay but the leakage offended me. Now I know, the experts will say, "you weren't distributing properly". But, I have no difficulties with 14 to 16 grams in a smaller basket. And I've got a darn good grinder and I even help it with a stir. Still, the problems didn't seem worth it to me. Now, I mostly use the single portafilter with double baskets - I removed the spring from the portafilter so I can quickly and easily do two shots in a row with minimal mess. But, you've got me interested again. Maybe tomorrow I'll try the triple.
Endo

Post by Endo »

nitpick wrote:Ok, so now back to my original question. If a triple can actually be 3oz, then how do S1 owners make one?
It's a good question that we have not really discussed much on the forum.

If I remember, people were using 19g for their triples when they first came out, and pulling the typical 1.5 oz I believe. Using only 19g you end up with quite a bit of headspace. You can defintely add more coffee (since the basket seems like it can easily take over 21g), but at about 20g and beyond, the puck becomes just too tall to force water through properly. As LaSapaziale has hinted before, the 53mm Vivaldi was designed around singles and doubles....not triples. A typical 58mm machine is better suited for that.

In any case....I can't afford triples! :lol:
nitpick

La Spaziale Portafilter size (was: How do you pull a triple?

Post by nitpick »

Endo wrote:As LaSapaziale has hinted before, the 53mm Vivaldi was designed around singles and doubles....not triples. A typical 58mm machine is better suited for that.
Can we talk a little about this? I know that La Spaziale's choice of a 53mm portafilter has been discussed to death probably, but I've heard this before ("that it was designed around singles and doubles").

It would be great to get some actual confirmation from the company about that and what, in particular, drove them philosophically to a 53mm & deep basket vs. the industry-standard 58mm commercial portafilter? Do they assert that it makes the coffee taste better? Improves shot consistency? Reduces machine size?

What is the official company rationale?
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

Along these lines, I reckon all the 58mm machines were designed around singles and doubles too. Que No?

Return to “General Q&A”