I've joined the group

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
az erik

I've joined the group

Post by az erik »

I just picked up that S1 that's been for sale on Ebay for a while. It's listed as new and never used and as a V1 so I'm a bit confused. It's got the round boiler gauge but otherwise I don't know if it happens to be the Canadian version with all the V2 stuff or not until it gets here hopefully next week.

If it is a V1 is there any specific things I should do to it to make life 'easier' to switch from my Expobar to this? I know my tampers, PF's and baskets are all different now. I'll be looking for a flat or concave tamper and not sure if I need to change the steam wand or not. I also have my Expobar on a X10 timer, is it possible or even needed to put this on a timer? I figure I could kick on the boiler when I come out to begin my routine and maybe it's ready in 6 minutes?

Pic of my soon new machine

Pick of my old (soon for sale Expobar)
Endo

Re: I've joined the group

Post by Endo »

Welcome and congrats on your new machine!

If I look closely, it seems to have the 5C temperature scale. All round gauge machines have this I think. So the first thing to try when you get it is to see if you can switch from V1 to V2 mode (1C mode) by holding down the "hot water" button for more than 10 seconds.

The Vivaldi timer is nice, but expensive at $200 (regular timers won't work). The Vivaldi takes 40 minutes (no 6) to warm-up. So the timer is a nice feature to have.

Don't bother changing the steam wand. You can decide later, but I still have the original on mine (even though I own both the no-burn and S5 wands).
az erik

Post by az erik »

Here's the oddity. It's a brand new never used V1? How's that possible! I'm thinking that leaving it on with the steam boiler off might be an ok deal for a bit. I've also got to find a new base for my RB tamper and read the manual (already loaded on my ipad all the versions of it) I know the brew boiler takes 30 minutes but thought the steam would be ready in 6 or so.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

My wife gets up at 5am, and turns the machine on. I get up at 7am and turn the boiler on for steam. The steam is ready in about 5 minutes. I got my machine with the no-burn steam arm. I switched at some point to the hot one and haven't changed back. They're both workable, but I find the hot one seems to have more power and I like that.
az erik

Post by az erik »

currently my wife is suffering from Gestational Diabetes so she's watching everything she eats but just found out this morning there are sugars in milk so I might not even have to fire up the steam if she decides to switch to americano's. Right now i steam 4 to 6 oz of milk with a Toroid pitcher which works really well with the 2 hole Expobar tip. It's a bit down on steam as I can get more power out of the 1 hole but it takes longer to froth. I'm thinking that I can 'set and forget' the steamwand in the pitcher like I see most shops do, I'm currently working my pitcher for great foam, if this goes away great!

I'm also stoked about the rotary pump. The Expobar lets the neighbors know I'm brewing. My K6 Silencio might stay or I might look at getting a k3 touch and attempting to sound deaden it. Thought being I know I'd be awoken and shaken if someone started making espresso with my Expo at 5 am and I wasn't awake.

I usually shoot bottomless, mostly due to being able to get my cups directly into the flow and not having to dump a shot into a glass. I really like this and ened up with a couple of different sized cups for this reason and for the progression through machines. I still have a Cuisenart EM-100 that I modded and use as a travel rig from time to time. I'm calling the seller now to try to get some more info and just have a quick chat with him, getting excited to rearrange the counter and have adjustability vs hopeful timing.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I suppose it is possible that it's new. The original V2 was specific to Chris Coffee and everyone else still got the V1. I thought that had changed by now but maybe not. Maybe LaSpaz still makes and sells the S1. I had both an early V1 and an early V2. In both cases all those stickers that yours has on the chrome panel to the right of the PF were hidden inside the chassis behind the drip tray on mine. Only in the last few years have those stickers been moved to the current location. So that fact alone seems to indicate that your machine might be new rather than an old but unused machine.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

The newer V1's will have the new side panels, attached with screws from the top.
az erik

I've joined the group

Post by az erik »

The plot thickens. Not only was it new but for sale from a distributor who was going to put it in the break room, he just happens to be a roaster too, in Jackson Tn.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

According to the Chris Coffee website they are the Exclusive North American Distributor for the S1 and they wouldn't be selling the VI. So either this was purchased outside North America or else your seller found a black market for espresso machines!

In any case, hopefully you got a good deal. As Endo mentioned, if it is a new V1 it should have the same controller board as the V2 which is capable of switching back and forth between V1 and V2 modes. While you still won't have the dual manometer, by switching to V2 mode you will get the +1C incremental control, it's associated temperature offset adjustment, and the progressive preinfusion options. You can purchase a new stick-on temperature strip from Chris Coffee to replace the 5C increment one you have now that will match up with the VII definitions of the lamps.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

chas wrote:According to the Chris Coffee website they are the Exclusive North American Distributor for the S1 and they wouldn't be selling the VI. So either this was purchased outside North America or else your seller found a black market for espresso machines!
Maybe the US, but not Canada. I got my S1 V1 Mini from the long time LaSpaziale distributor in Montreal called "Cafe Union".
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Endo wrote:Maybe the US, but not Canada. I got my S1 V1 Mini from the long time LaSpaziale distributor in Montreal called "Cafe Union".
This is accurate. Cafe Union still sell the S1 so are a few other La Spaziale distributors. I believe that the only exclusivity that Chris Coffee has on the S1 is the "2 upgrade".
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Hey. Good find John!

Seems like his is what they call the s1v1.5, except it had the new wand added.

Mine I'd definitely what they call the s1 tank. (Funny it has the new wand but the s1 doesn't).

The way they describe it them (s1,s1tank, etc) is pretty good. We should do the same.
az erik

Post by az erik »

Looks like it might be a 1.5. Seller stated he'd bought it 2 years ago direct, so from the importer/distro not from CC. Seller was a beverage company that's since closed up about 2 years ago. They'd bought it to put in the break room only to shut down before hooking it up, says' it's never seen water. I just REALLY hope it's got the programable PI. I'll know monday as that's when it's supposed to get here. Fingers crossed. 77#'s worth of machine in a box handled by UPS, there's a reason I'll be taking the day off to wait for it.
az erik

Post by az erik »

Working from home tady as the S1 is on the brown truck for delivery. I've had 6 doubles this morning, kind of a parting 'shot' to the Expobar :) Hoping it gets here soon, if it does this will be a most unproductive work day haha
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Funny, I was negotiating on this machine about 6 months ago and he wouldn't lower the price. I ended up with a v2. He didn't have the original box so I am crossing my fingers that it will show up in one piece.
az erik

Post by az erik »

Hence I'm charging up my HDSLR for the 'unboxing'. Something I started doing lately was recording whatever I got. I had a Panerai show up banged up on the side, seller was able to say I must have dropped it, I don't let things like that happen anymore. He did drop the price, the seller is actually closing up shop. this and a few other 'big tings' are all that's left. I ended up talking to Rhonda his wife as he's still near impossible to get a hold of. I've got my fingers crossed as well as 3 years ago I was buying a S1 second hand, it got smashed in transit and never even made it to my door, UPS just gave him the ins for it. I'm hoping this one actually gets here. I've held off buying anything for it so I get to use either my 49mm tamper or the plastic jobbie (I hope it's there).
az erik

Post by az erik »

Well.. it got here, minimal scare with the box but it was only the drain pan that flipped up. It needs a good wipe down as it must be kinda moist there but good news is it's birthday is 11/09 Still unboxing and taking pics. the front panel got moved up.

Return to “General Q&A”