Removing Portafilter Handle

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
LDT

Post by LDT »

I delayed posting this because I thought I could figure it out myself, but dicided to check out the collective wisdom of those on the forum. I'm looking for suggestions for removing portafilter handles without damaging them. I received my machine in December, 2011 and I have been told LaSpaziale is using a threadlocker compound which makes removal very difficult. Any suggestions? :roll:
slo
Barista

Re: Removing Portafilter Handle

Post by slo »

I wrapped the handle of mine in a bicycle rubber tube to protect it and prevent slip and clamped it in bench wise. I then wrenched the P/F out. It was tough but it gave...
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
LDT

Post by LDT »

Thanks Slo for your response. I'm going to turn some Portafilter handles out of Cocobolo and African Blackwood, but wanted to remove the existing ones without damage.
symbology

Post by symbology »

I know this is an old post, but I will chime in here anyway.

The outer plastic sleeve slides towards the PF exposing a hex shape that allows the use of a wrench to remove the handle. I think that I used a piece of pipe to tape the outer sleeve out of the way.
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

I ended up heating the portafilter using a coffee siphon torch. Worked like a charm and there was no need break out a vise or exert a ton of force.
LDT

Post by LDT »

I know I'm showing my ignorance, but what is a coffee siphon torch? Photo maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

LDT wrote:I know I'm showing my ignorance, but what is a coffee siphon torch? Photo maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Looks like this and is used for vacuum brewing. http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Lenk-BT4601- ... pd_sim_k_1

Return to “General Q&A”