Cappuccino vs. Latte

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
boldstep

Cappuccino vs. Latte

Post by boldstep »

I've heard it argued that the only difference between a cappuccino and Latte is the amount of milk, not the type of foam. I've also heard that cappuccinos have an airier foam compared to a latte. I am sure there are some opinions out there on this subject!!! Has anyone been to Italy lately to see how they prepare the two drinks differently?
Thanks!!
fiddlefly

Re: Cappuccino vs. Latte

Post by fiddlefly »

A capp is with foamy milk (more stretching phase) and a latte is no foam ((almost none) less stretch)
Endo

Re: Cappuccino vs. Latte

Post by Endo »

According to the INEI, “traditional cappuccinos are made up of 25ml of espresso and 125ml of milk steam-whipped milk starting with cold milk (3-5°C) and brought to a temperature of about 55°C and then poured on Italian Certified Espresso in a cup of 150-160ml. The milk must be fresh bovine with a minimum of 3.2% proteins and 3.5% fat, and steam-whipped in a specific way.”

They don't define the stiffness of the milk but generally I find it's a bit more froathy than a Latte (longer stretch).

I drank only espresso last time I was in Italy, but I saw some caps and they looked like they had a small stiffer mound of foam on top.

By the way, in Italy, nobody drinks anything but single espressos after 10AM (except for the "touristas"). They think the milk is bad for the digestive system. Don't sit down either, it'll cost you twice as much (learned that the hard way).

Return to “General Q&A”